Tuesday, April 24, 2012

overnight layover in Guangzhou

Hi, I will be get to Guangzhou at around 10:00 PM and the flight next morning (AirAsia to KL) is 10:25 AM. I will have a layover of 12 hours.



Thinking of couple of options:



1. if Guangzhou has a transit hotel at the airport (like Singapore) then I may check in to have a good night sleep - this is the least desired option.



2. I rather get a locker for my bags and head to the city. If Guangzhou is anywhere like HK, I should not be worried. I can have a good time and come back semi sober, have a early breakfast and on time for my flight. Question is, where are these spots? (I am not talking about red light stuffs, but just clean fun like eating and drinking)





Thanks.



overnight layover in Guangzhou


Because of the distance of the airport from the city, lack of a rail link and frequent traffic snarls even on the tollway, I would probably opt for the airport hotel (Novotel Baiyun). There are also a couple of smaller hotels in the area (the new wing of Good East is an OK 2* place) that offer free shuttle service to / from the airport, but the surroundings are distinctly bleahh - certainly no decent dining otpions.



If you have more faith in mainland Chinese drivers than I do a night in the city centre would be doable, but remember you%26#39;ll be doing the trip back to the airport in peak hour.



overnight layover in Guangzhou


From the airport%26#39;s website - line #1 goes to the Guangzhou station for 45 minutes. I should have plenty of time for that? And after night market, drinking in bars, just walking around, I should be able to start heading back around 3, 4 AM (I will have disciplines).



So I am still interested in knowing about the answers on question 2 - i.e. where would you recommend to go. I am particularly interested in night market, etc.




Hi tt,





I will be doing the same journey in a few weeks. How did this work for you? did you find the city too far from the airport?




The city is about 1 hour from the airport.




I think novotel has an offer at 500 to 600 rmb. This depends on your budget. Other cheaper local hotel as posted. Lots of hotel offer at night by vendor at arrival. The last coach to town depends on the last plane say 1am. You can go to town when you arrived at 10 pm cheaply by coach. There is left luggage. However the timing to be back at 3 -4 am will be by cab, use the meter one or one run by Baiyun airport taxis. could be under 200 rmb, dont know the surcharge at that hr. For night life and bars refer ';That%26#39;s PRD'; website. Night market say Beijing street or Shang Xia Jiu Rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment