Wednesday, April 25, 2012

recommended immunizations?

hello,





my mother and i are traveling to china w/ a tour group (china spree) in april, and i wanted to see what vaccines are recommended?





we%26#39;re planning on getting hep A (already have hep B immunization). but what about typhoid, etc? going by the CDC website, etc.. looks like we need multiple immunizations. but what do people really get?





we%26#39;re traveling to beijing, shanghai, hong kong, and a few smaller cities (including Guilin).





thank you!!!



recommended immunizations?


All you will need it Hep A and B and your Tetnis shot. That%26#39;s all most people get as you%26#39;re not going to any really small rural places, Guilin has 6 million people... but that is a small city in China.



recommended immunizations?


The best thing to do is go by what the CDC says and then also consult your doctor.




thanks for the replies! the 2 replies represent some of the variable advice i%26#39;m receiving offline as well. we%26#39;re definitely getting hep A and B.... can anyone who%26#39;s traveled to china comment on whether they received the typhoid vaccine? we%26#39;re not going to any high-risk malaria areas, but we are wondering whether it would be worth it to get the typhoid vaccine....





thanks!




I recently received my vaccinations which were Hep A and B and typhoid. The travel clinic that I went to strongly recommended the typhoid. Also my brother in law who lives in China recommended the tyhpoid. I was also told to take malaria pills for visiting him in Dong Guan City but he said that was overkill.




thank you so much for your reply! everyone%26#39;s advice has been very helpful and reassuring.




I think one poster above added one zero too many to the Guilin population.




I%26#39;ve never had a typhoid shot, but the disease is reported to be on the rise in China.





It would seem to be more of a concern in southern, rural places but I can%26#39;t find any good information about where cases have occurred.








The nurse at the travel clinic I visited felt the typhoid vaccine was optional, depending on my travel plans: not necessary if I would be primarily in urban areas, eating in restaurants; advisable if I planned to be spending lots of time in rural areas eating in private homes. Basically, she didn%26#39;t feel it was necessary unless I got pretty far off the beaten track. None of your destinations qualify.





Your doctor may feel differently though, or the situation may have changed. A good travel clinic will have updates on the disease situation in all areas of the world and make recommendations based on the most current information.





Susan




Would vaccinations be needed for someone just going to Beijing and not to rural areas?




Hello





My sisterand I and a friend are travelling to China in three weeks time from Australia and we have all been advised by our Doctors and the health Department (all different doctors) to have the combined (one needle) of hep A and Typhoid. My doctor is Thaiwonese and my sisters doctor is Indian and they agree to have the shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment